Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Crib Upcycle

This is a real trash to treasure story. The other day I was driving down the road with all 3 kids when we saw an old crib sitting next to the curb with someone's trash.  I slammed on the brakes, the kids squealed with excitement and then embarrassment when I started loading up someone's trash into the back of our mini van.  Although I had know idea what I was going to do with this thing, I really couldn't resist. The crib was in fantastic shape with only a few chipped paint spots.  Never fear, I figured out what to do with it. We made a reading nook.

Let me admit that I didn't build this myself. My hubby did most of the hard work.  I asked him to take pictures of the process but he only took a couple and they are a little confusing to me.  So, here is my piece of advice--do a google search of Cribs into Benches.   You will find at least a million ideas of how you can upcycle an old crib into a bench or maybe something entirely different.  Aside from the crib, the project also required two 2x4's to complete the seat and stabilize the bench.  I also added a little quote with vinyl letters.
I really am in love with this project. The bench only required 1/2 of the crib, so now I can't wait to dream up something else for the husband to build.

2 comments: