Sunday, May 15, 2011

Cabochon Crazy

I love the Resin Flower Cabochons showing up on jewelry designs everywhere. I wanted to learn to make my own.  But, when I realized all of the steps required and the different chemicals & dyes I needed, I became a little intimidated. Then I saw this on sale for $4.99.
Sculpey Pluffy Clay!  It is a modable clay that you bake to harden. There are easy baking instructions on the box and this stuff is really fun for kids too.  Anyway, I thought I would try making my own Cabochons, the simple way-with clay.  First, I needed some molds.
I found these HERE on etsy and I started creating. 
Using an old cheap ring I found drowning in the bottom of my jewelry box, I glued this Cabochon on top and created a brand new look.
Belle got a few new embellishments on some boring hair clips.

Earrings too!  Pluffy clay does not come in silver or navy, but by painting some white Cabchons the color possiblities are endless.  Again I used some old earrings (circa. 1985) to make them new.
I think the blue and silver flower are a definite improvement to the big gold heart!
You can even roll the clay into balls to create your own beads.  My son had a great time rolling the beads.  They aren't perfect but they have personality!
I stuck toothpicks through the beads before I baked them. Obviously, this makes stringing them together much easier.
With one package of sculpey clay you can make at least 100 Cabochons. As you can see, you can use them in lots of different ways! 

2 comments:

  1. Love this! I've been trying to justify spending $15 for a ring like this. Good to know I can do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I LOVE this idea! Thanks for sharing, I will have to try this! Stopping by from Justsewsassy.com

    ReplyDelete