Monday, April 11, 2011

5-Minute Ruffle Scarf


Since starting this blog I have begun looking at fabric much differently.  Before, when I thought about fabric I immediately thought of the bolts you find at Joann's.  Now I see fabric everywhere, especially in old clothes, sheets, blankets, etc.  I love to purge my closet of things I no longer wear, but now I take a second look before donating.  You never know what you can create out of a stained or no longer wanted article of clothing. The above pictured scarf is no exception. I made this scarf from an old maternity t-shirt in less than five minutes. 
Here are the instructions:
First, trim the hem off of the t-shirt.
Next, cut 2 or possibly 3 (depending on the width of your t-shirt) 6 inch strips from the bottom of your shirt.
Now you have 2 or 3 tubes of t-shirt fabric.  Make a cut up the side of each tube so that the tubes are no longer tubular :0)!  Now you should have 2 or 3 long strips that need to be sewn together to create a longer strip.  Place right sides together and stitch across the top of one end. Once sewn the strip will seem extremely long, but it will only be about half the size when complete.
Finally, you are going to make a stitch down the center using elastic thread.  You can find elastic thread HERE or at any fabric store.  Note, it is usually with the elastic not with the thread. When using elastic thread you will need to manually wind your bobbin.  Don't wind too tightly or the elastic will break while sewing.  You should use regular sewing thread in a coordinating color on top of your machine.
Voila! Now you have a pretty, light-weight Spring scarf.


6 comments:

  1. Very cute! Love these! This is on my really long list of to-do's! Maybe someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and am your newest follower. This scarf is lovely. Thanks for creating such a fun and inspiring blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I've been wanting to make one of these! Thanks for the clear instructions about the elastic thread :) Found your blog through Someday Crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! This is lovely. Thanks for sharing. I hope you will stop by my "Party in Paris" friday.

    Blessings,
    Renee
    http://renee-joyjourney.blogspot.com/2011/04/friday-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice! I love the color! and I too have been meaning to make one like similar but just haven't had a chance... Bookmarking for inspiration for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aaaah! this is yet another reason for me to get a sewing machine!!!! seriously CUTE! love it :)

    ReplyDelete